Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mastering my cup of Coffee!

So I went out to LI last weekend, to see some family and friends, and to my luck, my parents were having a yard sale!  I was one lucky customer/daughter....I discovered they were selling a BRAND NEW FRENCH PRESS they didn't want!

I love coffee, and actually have a friend who's holding an extra Keurig they have for me, but I've always wanted a French Press.  Not only do I love the taste of coffee, but I love the little ritual I create with it.  It's the little things in life that get me, and this happens to be one of them.  Waking up, having some breakfast (because I don't EVER skip breakfast, always been my personal fav, most important meal of the day), and enjoying a large cup of coffee.  Now I can do that every morning without my Keurig, without my Starbucks instant packets, but with my new found French Press!

Thought I'd share some information on how I know I've finally mastered the art of brewing myself the ultimate cup of coffee.  I had a drip machine, thanks to my old roomie Meg, in our last apartment, but since we've gotten our own places, she resumed ownership of it.  Besides, I only used it a handful of times, because I was never satisfied with the way the coffee brewed.  I would always run across the street to the old standby, "The Coffee Shop" where they brewed, Segafredo Intermezzo.  MMMM Segafredo hits the spot.  The beans are imported from Italy, and is a blend of 60% Arabica and 40% Robusta beans, which gives it a rich, yet smooth flavor.  It's been said to create, "Le Dolce Vita" in your home :) 


So anyway, back to the press.......I wanted to unlock some of the potential reasons why my coffee brewing skills spiked through the roof the last couple of days with my press.  Well, turns out, that with the coffee grounds remaining in direct contact with the boiling water in the press, the coffee's flavor is more pronounced, as well as the oils from the beans.  With the traditional drip brew, you're most likely to lose some of these oils because of the paper filters. 


However, I must also include, that during my study of French Press vs. Drip coffee makers, I did learn that French Press were not ideal for those with high cholesterol.  The increase in the cholesterol from the French press coffee is believed to be caused by oils called terpenes that are found in the beans, and are not removed by the filters from the drip machine.  This, thank heaven, is not a threat to me however, since my cholesterol couldn't be better!  As long are you "health yourself" everyday, and make yourself aware of the things you're consuming, yours shouldn't be either.  Here's to good health and GREAT coffee! 

No comments:

Post a Comment